Friday, 25 October 2013

Change and transformation


Having come out the other side of 6 weeks of worrying I have been surprised by the urge I have to change. At the start, when something threatens you (in this case health),  there is a certain retrenching that goes on. Initially you find yourself sailing on and trying to maintain normality; it cracks from time to time but overall you become practical and aim to keep going.

At the other end, after the first euphoria of relief there is a bombardment of different emotions.  Initially there is the counting of blessings, of which there are many.  Then there is the re-evaluation.  It is the latter that has been much on my mind, along with an unexpected feeling of blueness that I was not expecting at all.
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” 
 Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky


Whilst that is mulling over there are other changes going on.  The season is turning and the leaves are falling from next doors birch and our apples.  The squirrels are stealing the birds food and then burying it around the garden.

There have been unexpected visitors, from the Greater Spotted Woodpecker in the apple tree, no pictures as I couldn't find the camera in time. There have been lady birds on the window and in the washing.  The wind is high and the sky is that peculiar silver-gilt that comes with autumn rain.

There is the change that processes through art, from this:
to this:

And for a while the creation of form is a solace and comfort.  The act of creation a physic that helps medicine away the melancholy.  As the autumn deepens and the season turns ever more golden I suspect I will move away from this restlessness and settle into my place again.  I appear to be a work in progress..



18 comments:

  1. I hope you are ok. I felt same. Suddenly normal things became blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fine really; I had a health scare that turned out to be less of a worry than we at first thought. But it hasn't half made me take stock and wonder.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written. I understand you.
    The dear little rabbit is lovelyl. I love seeing how these creatures evolve and love how you link your emotions & feelings to something created so beautifully by your own hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. I think we reach a stage in life where taking stock is part of the moving on in maturity. Sometimes we are shocked into it. I cope by making things.

      Delete
  3. nothing like a little wrestle with mortality to step up the sense of wonder & urgency in the making, love your magical hare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when you turn out to be ok, it rocks the world just a little.

      Delete
  4. scares are not fun
    it is indeed wonderful when they inspire us in new ways
    some how instinct's voice can be louder at these times
    I wish you well each step of your journey

    your bunny is so dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammie, Starting to mend and using art to help keep the balance. Loving your photos.

      Delete
  5. Hugs. I hope your ok and your journey is taking you to places which you can be happy and rested. :) Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, will be an interesting journey where-ever it goes.

      Delete
  6. Hey Charlotte, your words resonate with me and I understand where you are coming form.
    Good to hear it's not the worry you thought it was, but even so when the foundations are shaken it's a worrisome time. When people ask me 'what happening or what have I been up to?' I feel so boring saying 'nothing, just the same old same old' but on reflection I' rather those same old days than days filled with worry and concern about the unknown.....take care.

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, Sometimes I want same old, but in this case it is same old that is also causing a problem. But you are right I am much better without the uncertainty xx

      Delete
  7. That quote is very thought provoking for me, thankyou Charlotte for sharing it here; :) I hope you find the changes you need on this journey of life we travel. ♥
    Your little felt rabbit looks magical as though it was transformed from the ball of wool by an enchantment!
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one to remind one about the world. I use it to remind me about the personal and where I am from time to time,
      I am enjoying your jaunt about in Devon.

      Delete
  8. Hello, Charlotte! I do hope you feel well and your soul has found the balance, needed!
    After a really hard, critical moment in life, everything looks so different. As if this is an opportunity to look at yourself from aside, to make changes, to begin things anew. I agree with you that there's "a bombardment of different emotions", some of them are so unexpected and strong that can ruin you... I wish you only joy and love!:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soul is a work in progress... constantly. Hope you are coping with your boy's flight to university. I can't imagine what it is like but know it will come at some point. All the best to you and yours xxx

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work and that second photo is stunning. I am glad you have a hare to aid your transmutation into whatever comes next and glad, too, to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Lunar, it is a pleasure to have your visit.

      Delete