Monday, 24 June 2013

Bees and Beetles make me happy


“Place a beehive on my grave
And let the honey soak through.
When I'm dead and gone,
That's what I want from you.
The streets of heaven are gold and sunny,
But I'll stick with my plot and a pot of honey.
Place a beehive on my grave
And let the honey soak through.” 


“Such bees! Bilbo had never seen anything like them.
"If one were to sting me," He thought "I should swell up as big as I am!” 
― J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit




The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of its own." 
~ Leonardo da Vinci


"Whenever I hear of the capture of rare beetles, I feel like an old war-horse at the sound of a trumpet"
- Charles Darwin

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful paintings and quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I want to read The Secret Life of Bees now.

      Delete
  2. aah The secret life of Bees is such a wonderful book I've read many times over.

    Funnily enough, I have some friends coming for supper on Thursday & after supper we are going to watch the film.

    My flowering shrub right by the front door is singing with bees and a wonderful sound it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seem to have lost the reply I just wrote to you. oh hum must be wonky fingers again. I love the sound of bees too. Hope Jess is doing well in US.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful paintings(are they yours?)and words.
    I love bees too!

    Have a lovely day,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruby, yes they are mine, I have been playing with water colours and having a bit of fun.

      Delete
  4. these are wonderful
    i love the frames you have included in your paintings.
    the quotes also, a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bee~ utiful. What a lovely three dimension feel to your beautifully detailed paintings.

    ReplyDelete