Saturday, 11 May 2013

Help wanted, to find a new skin

Last year my class created work that we published in a book (bless Blurb for making this possible).  I have ambitions to do the same thing over the coming Summer term.  The grand scheme is to take the tradition of oral storytelling, teach the children how stories are heard, remembered and retold.  They will then read, retell and then write up their own versions.  This will form the basis for the book.  I want them to understand the process from idea to published form, taking on board how authors work, how editors work and what it takes to plan, layout and design the finished product.
Image from blog.preisueberwacher.ch
Now here's the rub: storytelling covers such a huge breadth, geography and theme that we could become overwhelmed by the choice of story.  However rambling through the wealth of creative work out in cyberspace, visiting haunts that I love gave me inspiration.  Much thanks to the spark lit by Anthropomorphca's latest doll; by a character from Cornelia Funke's Mirror world and by my favourite books of the moment: East of the Sun, West of the Moon and The Crane Wife.  Shape-shifters.  I plan to introduce the children to a range of stories from around the world, Anansi, the selkies, The Magic Bird, wolfskins, bearskins.  We can learn versions, retell versions, paint, draw and model characters, then imagine and tell our own versions.
evolution story telling Storytelling In Abundance
From the Dare website, 

I need a list of stories.  I have started compiling the ones I know of but would be very grateful for additions. particularly from Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Eastern Europe.  Any ideas or sources would be gratefully received so that I can put together a pack for the class to kickstart their ideas.  Leave on the comments below, tweet or e-mail me.  Thank you in advance

9 comments:

  1. Lucky,lucky children!
    Do you know Tsuru No Ongaeshi from Japan, the story of a shape-shifting crane.
    Thank you Charlotte, I feel really honoured to have lit the spark! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, just realised The Crane Wife is the same story...you do know it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that was the Japanese title. It is going on the list. Thank you again.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful idea ! Not sure that I know any ( unless you want my very own ghost story told on my Blog every Halloween ! )

    Do you follow Snapper and the Griffin Blog ? Link on my sidebar. G is the writer of many many stories of faery folk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do follow Snapper and the Griffin, I will drop him a line on his blog. Thanks Penny, will also go and look up your ghost story, anything that captures the imagination of book resistant 11 year olds will do, hence wanting to do this with oral story work instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=6701272085483844057#editor/target=post;postID=5340960270462668633;onPublishedMenu=template;onClosedMenu=template;postNum=103;src=link

    I think this has changed over the years. My mum isn't even sure it happened al all !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Charlotte you make me miss teaching (only a bit though). What a fabulous and creative project, and such lucky students to have you as their teacher! Can't wait to see what you come up with. I've been a bit of a lazy blogger lately, but will try and change my ways. Spring fever I imagine....
    xo
    dulcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is really taking shape in my head now. Teaching is a great job, although I do wish it didn't eat into free time quite so much.

      Delete
  7. Charlotte, This will be quite a project. I know firsthand the process of writing, illustrating, editing and layout; and then on to the finished product you can hold in your hands. It is good for children to know that books don't "just happen", there is so much involved in creating them. I wish I could think of a folktale, but all that comes to mind are the American Tales I grew up on such as, "Johnny Appleseed", "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Gullivers Travels". Have fun!

    ReplyDelete