Saturday, 9 February 2013

Dining in the company of Dragons

Can't afford a Wayne Anderson, do it yourself then. (Loving the dragons of  WA)
A small contribution (my first) to the Moveable Feast set up by Terri Windling, on her wonderful Myth and Moor blog.
Dragon inspired by, and for, Jackie Morris

DRAGONS.

A long time love affair that started with the stories of my childhood and has continued to this day.  Not surprisingly some of my favourite books contain these marvellous and magical creatures.  From the tales collected by Ruth Manning Saunders; through the joys of Smaug; from Jackie Morris' glorious paintings to the Uccello's George and the Dragon.
Uccello. George and the Dragon


 Each of these shaped my imagination.

Dragons sit on my shoulder, sing in my ears and lighten my eyes.  Without them the world is a duller place.

And the man said,  "Yes, I excuse you."
And Poo-Poo said."Excuse me, Mr McIntosh, but is this your dragon?"
And Mr McIntosh said, "Now do I look like a man who has a dragon?"
And Poo-Poo said, "I've never seen anyone who did have a dragon."
"That's a very extraordinary thing," said Mr McIntosh, "You can't have travelled very far."
                          C.S.Forester, Poo-Poo and the Dragons.


Stargazey, now in Australia
 "It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."
Tolkien: The Hobbit.

My first felted Dragon, from Tell Me a Dragon, Jackie Morris
Over the years I have collected them to me in both written and corporeal form:
The first is inherited from my Gran, he is our house guardian, as he was hers.  The second is a delicate glass dragon, who was a gift from my lovely Aunt Pam and Uncle Dick. The final is my ice Dragon, gifted to me from my Aunty Bobbie (fellow lover of dragons).




21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Charlotte! And thank you for getting the Feast off to such a tasty start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kindly, it was a pleasure to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte,

    These are really wonderful, these felted dragons. Marvellous, fluffy magics!

    I wonder do you use the needle-felting technique to make them or are they stitched and stuffed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needle felted, Austin, onto a solid wool core. I am very touched that you like them.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Charlotte. Had I been in less haste to see your lovely post I might have noticed that your tagline actually states the technique!

      In any case a real craft. Mind you don't prick your finger with the needle or you might find yourself and all your house slumbering for a hundred years!

      Delete
  4. such a wonderful dragon post!
    love that Poo quote
    i am not a woman with a dragon (unless we are talking Kuan Yin, then we all have dragons), but i do have a mountain lion living near me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking for a UK edition of CS Forester's books for years, Not sure it was even published here. He wrote the stories to encourage his son to eat, when he stopped eating the story stopped coming.

      Watch out for those dragons, the have a habit of joining you when you least expect it.

      Delete
  5. Sweet :-) My aunt also collects dragons and I envy her her collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I keep giving the ones I make away, the others are tucked around the house,where they look out for stories.

      Delete
  6. oh, i so love your dragons!

    thank you for sharing them with us

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your painting a lot and your first felt Dragon is a sweetie !

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great collection of dragons Charlotte, love your magic hatchling for Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo, glad you like them. Was imagining what my green dragon is making of the heat in Australia, he has winged his way to Sydney.

      Delete
  9. A delightful post, Charlotte, with magical dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I've stopped by from Myth & Moor. I love your post so much. It was delightful to read about your personal history with dragons, as well as see your art. The dragons you've created are charming and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The one I love most is the East Asian Lion Dog dragon. He belonged to my beloved Gran, he was in the house for as long as I can remember. When she died I was incredibly proud that she gifted him to me.

      Delete