Tuesday, 27 November 2012

I need to be reclassified as an old fogey

That is it, I am now officially one of the old generation.  You know the one that doesn't understand the young.  The one who keeps on about how it was better in my day...
In the last week it has become clear to me that I have no idea what a celebrity is; that I am out of touch with the modern popular music (who the hell are One Direction?)  Why is Cheryl Cole famous?  Olly someone?
The children in my class are constantly amazed at my lack of knowledge.  Then to cap it all a colleague had to explain to me who Helen Flanagan was (although I am none the wiser as I don't watch Corrie!).

Am I alone?  I don't watch soaps, even the Archers irritates me after a week or so.  I don't watch reality TV, strikes me they are about as unreal as you can possibly get.  I don't listen to radio 1 and only 6music occasionally.  I will go and find my red hat, purple coat and become a disgraceful old codger forthwith.


When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple. 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte, I know exactly how you feel. I don't have a TV and only watch a few selected (cultural of course) things on iplayer, when I hear of something interesting. I work with teenagers but avoid the subject as they would just think I was some kind of cave dweller. It isn't an age thing, it's a taste thing.
    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. Lovely chickens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am not sure teenagers would be as forgiving of me as my year 5 and 6's. But they would roll their eyes at my idea of entertainment.

      Delete
  2. well i feel as though i am in good company with you, as i do not know who any of those people are either.

    love the jacket !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous isn't it, although I would look like a dog's dinner in it. Hope you are well,
      C

      Delete
  3. The eating of three pounds of sausages at one go has always appealed to me..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the club Charlotte :-) All of those things are a mystery to me as well, and I don't have a TV either. I quite fancy the purple coat and red hat though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well.... you can't go wrong in that coat (but I'd pass on the hat). There is that sort of "Ah Ha" moment when one realizes that they're moving into new directions.... and popular culture is usually the first place it hits. I remember experiencing those feelings in my late 40's a bit.... but I don't give "2 hoots" about any of it now!! Too many new things to do and learn.....

    xo
    dulcy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee, i better get my hat too for i dont do any of those things either. Do purple boots count, i do hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like you may already be "wearing purple"!

    Happy weekend,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Charlotte, love the poem and purple, but definitely don't want to learn to spit......
    Being part of the 'old generation' we have a great responsibility to the youth of today.
    It's up to us to tell them about times before there were i phones and laptops and Facebook hehe......

    You're in good company, so no need to worry....

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete