Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Some things of beauty




My dad has been a photographer from the first moment he picked up a camera.  He is an unrepentant analogue (chemical) process photographer, who will not use a digital camera at all.  Over the years he has used Leicas, Hasselblad's (prior to which a Kowa 6, before retirement freed the money for it''s Swedish cousin) and his first and permanent love The Exakta.

He processes and prints all his monochrome in a home darkroom, my bedroom in fact.  Colour he no longer does at home, instead using a local printer who has the level of results he is happy with.

The above three pictures are a surprise present.  I happened to mention, whilst admiring them on the wall of his dining room, that they were my favourites of all his prints.  Lo and behold they arrived printed, framed and ready to go on our own walls.  Although he is only just coming to realise it, he is actually very, very good.

12 comments:

  1. How much your dad loves you! What an atmosphere in these photos!
    My father wasn't a photographer, but I remember that he had a darkroom with red lighting. I was little then, but my brother helped him and knows the feeling - magical, I suppose.I shall ask him.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad has loved photography for as long as I can remember. Then I went and married a man with the same passion. Can't quite believe I am still going on walks that require me to hold leaves out of the way, wait for the light to be "just right" and hold the equipment whilst he frames the picture.

      Delete
    2. So... you are "half a photographer" then! Your assistance is so very important!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful and special gift Charlotte......they look great.

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, we are just waiting to finish painting the hall so we have somewhere to hang them. It's only been 2 months...

      Delete
  3. What a talented family and they look so good against that lovely fabric too! :)
    jess x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess, he has no idea how good he really is. He is always surprised when people like his pictures. Not bad for 80.

      Delete
  4. how wonderful that he surprised you with these beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, we just need to surprise him by managing to hang the on a wall.

      Delete
  5. Charlotte, your father's photos are wonderful! What a gorgeous grouping those must be on the wall. Something to cherish. I hope he's still taking lots of pictures. Very talented!

    xo
    dulcy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely surprise and what beautiful photos. A friend of mine who now teaches photography still used the old way !

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shadows on cobblestones are wonderful . He's really very good , isn't he !

    ReplyDelete