Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Owls are watching

I am dreaming of owls (when not dreaming of cycling to Birmingham!).  The Room Full of Butterflies reserved a small owl and here it is ready to fly.

I have been dreaming a story to be told as well.  This one in film form.

I have long loved shadow puppets and for some years have been teaching the children at work to stop motion animate.  Now it is my turn.  I need to set up the camera and cut the puppets; the story board has been roughed out and I have ideas of how to make this work for me.

I have one of the best books on the subject ready:


Just a minor problem of software.  My new work laptop doesn't have access to the RAM memory in my user area, so I cannot run the software I have used in the past.  However I think I can use another of the packages I have from work to solve the problem.  I love the effect of stop motion work, it is a visceral and tactile method of making films.  Hopefully I will have something to show for my efforts before long.

11 comments:

  1. Charlotte your owl is just beautiful and it's off to it's new home.....wonderful.
    Hope you can work out how to film your animation, it sounds very interesting . You certainly are a woman of many and varied talents.....

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the talents bit, but I get swept up in enthusiasms. Stop Motion was something I got to try out at school (for an ict project) and just fell in love with it. I have been wanting to make an Oliver Postgate inspired film ever since. It is incredibly easy, just very time consuming and fiddly.

      Delete
  2. It all sounds far too technical for me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This from a woman who can wet felt pictures and add in free machine embroidery. Now that's technical.

      Delete
  3. If you know how to make stop motion animation (my dream!), with this book to inspire you and your imagination, you'll create something fine, I'm sure!:)
    In the Theatre Academy we had a short course of animation (mainly theory). But in our puppet classes we worked shadow theatre a whole year. We had a show with naked hands - together we created different animals upon "The carnival of the animals" by Camille Saint-Saens. It was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll watch this space - Good Luck!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruby. Having technical problems at the moment. The software (that ran on my old laptop) won't work with windows 7. Windows movie maker doesn't have a fast enough frame per second run. I have another editing suite I can use but it doesn't have onion skinning which is such a bonus for animation.

      Delete
  5. I adore your owl Charlotte. We've been awaken nightly by one, a barred owl, that's making all kinds of racket. I mean it's really loud! I'm very intrigued by your shadow puppet adventure and will look forward to seeing what you're able to do. Your students are very lucky to have such a creative teacher!

    xo
    dulcy

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is wonderful! i can barely wait (i know, i have no other choice), but i love everything you create, so in my heart this is already wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work! Found your blog today via Clive HJ. I would love to try animation myself and cut paper is the style I'm interested in. You must have seen the amazing Lotte Reiniger. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be a puppeteer. It was the first job I had when I left ballet school, and the director of the company I worked for had known and even worked for Lotte Reiniger. One of my favourite forms of puppetry has always been the conjuring of images through shadows. You can probably see something of that affection that in the Hansel & Gretel service.

    ReplyDelete