Friday, 3 August 2012

Home again, home again

The most exhausting part of holidays is the coming home again.  There is that slight sense of being bereft, where something fleeting and very special has slipped away.  The anchoring back into daily life that is unpacking and washing; the way we move into our old familiar routines and places, all the time looking to hold the memories as tangible objects.

We have been away, in a small cottage on the edge of Exmoor.  Perfect for walking, peace and quiet, stone skimming into the ford and watching the clouds floating over wood and moor.
From this little base camp we took off for the sort of adventures that suit us best.  We found many things to delight and inspire; some of which I may share later, although we have stack of photo's there is a book planned for them first. However, this is a flavour of what we did on our holidays.
The sight of my very first river wash (some 42 years ago).

The best way to wash

Irresistible rock pooling

Three Hills dreaming

River symphony

A tiny find

I am pleased to be back in my own house, with my space and the walls that speak to me.  But I would like to look out of the door to find a ford, a river, a bridle path and the adventures on my doorstep rather than at the end of a drive in the car.


PS: I got to see and hear a range of wild animals and birds, but still not an otter!



5 comments:

  1. Ah, Exmoor - wonderful place! I find holidays a bit discombobulating, and am always glad to be home - but I do love Exmoor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, sounds like you had a wonderful time an i love all the photos......
    It's always nice to come home after a holiday and appreciate your own little corner of the globe.....

    Have a great weekend,

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, so glad you had a good holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful river,I love dams and used to love making them with my two boys. Your photos bring back happy memories of fishing and dam building,although this one looks like a professional job! And the tiny frog,how could he know he'd end up as a artist's model.Just shows how important and interconnected everything is.Thanks for sharing your lovely holiday photos.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. no otter eh, they show themselves when least expected...
    looks and sound like your time was good and wonderful, so happy for you all. fun to see you exploring and enjoying ~

    ReplyDelete