Sunday, 1 July 2012

Me being a magpie

I do worry that I am not good at original work.  The magpie response is strong and it is tempting to make your own versions of things, the hard thing is not to plagiarise.  Sometimes this can hamstring the urge to try something out.

I have been wanting to try something out for myself for sometime, finally I got over the stumbling blocks and had a go.  Rima, of the Hermitage, posted a wonderful example of a macquette, jointed figure.  I could not hope to even attempt anything as beautiful as her bell ringer.  Instead I have a bird man (rather keen on bird men)  or maybe she is a bird woman, I am not to sure and s/he is not telling.



I hope not derivative, too much, more homage.

6 comments:

  1. Your Bird Being is beautiful Charlotte! and y'know magic Rima's Bell Ringer was made in response to a call for an online exhibition of maquettes by Clive Hicks-Jenkins, there's a fascinating array on this link-
    http://clivehicksjenkins.wordpress.com/tag/artlog-exhibition-of-maquettes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for both lovely comments, I smiled at wrinkle in time, it was (and still is) a favourite book. I should have remembered it; spent many a happy hour looking for my own Mrs's Who and Which. The perspective helped too, sometimes time gets away from us and I felt I wanted to catch a minute or two.

      I am just having a look at the macquettes and they are a multitude of glories aren't they. I think I will make more.
      I am looking forward to more of your work too.

      Delete
  2. this is wonderful Charlotte, not to be compared with any one's art of this sort. I took a wee peak at the link Mo Crow shared and yours certainly could be included in this group. I also enjoy bird men, or at least the one i am dating... he has a way with birds and for his birthday i painted him holding a bird in his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Charlotte good on you for getting over the stumbling block.
    I saw Rima's post on her Bell RInger Macquette........she's one very clever lady.

    Love your bird man too, from their stripey tights to their green shoes............

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah well he is lovely. This is difficult.. I found myself writing a story for my blog today & rather felt I had copied someone's idea... ran it by daughter & husband who said to go with it but I decided not to publish...
    You have done the right thing to querie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a thoughtful reply. There are real problems being original, not many of us truly are. I too run things past my husband, also hopefully, acknowledge the originals when painting and writing. It's a fine line that we walk.

      Delete