Friday, 8 June 2012

Lepidopterae

Death's Head Hawk, Phantom, Tiger, Old Lady, Kentish Glory, Silver Y, Burnet.  Ever since I can remember I have loved moths, probably far more than any other insect.  There is something so magical about their time, their dusty wings and the fluttering attraction to the flame and lamp.  Moon driven and marvellous.

We used to get walls of Lime Hawks, drying out their newly unfurled wings, on the Coop.  The council removed all the lime trees and now I have not seen any for some time.  We get the occasional Privet Hawk from time to time; and somewhere is an Elephant hatching.  These magnificent gentlemen take 2 years to pupate and the caterpillar graced our garden 18 months ago.

We also have the most delightful little moth that lives on our Majoram.  They fly up in a cloud of reddish brown if you brush onto the plant.  We get the Silver Y and Oak moth in the early dusk.  I feel they are the neglected cousin of their flashier relatives.

As a result I have had a wall hanging idea percolating for some time.  It will be in patchwork squares of felt and needle felted designs.  I will keep going until I run out of colours or moths.  I am not sure quite how I plan to back it or stitch together the squares.


Three of my favourites are here now:

7 comments:

  1. I am so loving your moths! They are so beautiful, can't wait to see your finished wall hanging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One and half more squares done, a white plume and a garden Tiger. I love their names.

      Delete
  2. they are lovely, each one. Such a beautiful idea putting them into squares. I don't think i have ever heard someone say that they love moths, so fun to think about. i do enjoy them as much as butterflies.... so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammie,
      I remember going on moth walks with my Dad. You lay out a white sheet on the ground at dusk (sometimes with a lamp too) then return in the wee small hours and find out what has landed on the cloth.

      Delete
  3. I am also a lover of moths and your felted kind are just beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, I really appreciate this from someone with your talent.

      Delete
  4. Charlotte, loved reading about your interest in moths and their wonderful names. Great memories of your moth walks with your dad too......

    We had candles in holders hanging in the trees last week ( birthday celebration) and I could hear this funny noise and there was a rather large moth caught in the candle holder trying to get out.....he was quite ok but he was a beauty.
    Love your felt squares they look great. I have just popped over from Marmalade Rose blog and I think you might be able to pick up a couple of ideas on how to finish and hang your work from what Fi has just finished.......

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete