Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Soon Child, soon.

I mentioned, some posts ago, that I had bought a copy of Russell Hoban's Soonchild.   I didn't realise, at the time that I had read his Francis stories  when I was small.  Jam for Francis being one of my favourite books.

Soonchild is the mot haunting story, supported by the glorious illustrations by Alexis Deacon.  Walker books gave the author and illustrator the freedom to craft a book that is more than the sum of it's parts.  It is also a fitting epitaph the (very special) Russell Hoban.

However reading the book planted a seed, one that has begun to grow a little and may well become more than the sum of it's parts too.




I am thinking of working on many of the totems in the story and plan to tell some of Sixteen Face John's journey.

PS: I am ashamed to say I have not yet read The Mouse and His Child, which is really a classic.  Guess what is on the next shopping list?

5 comments:

  1. I have never read any of his books. But seeing your interpretations, they are marvellous. I see that I will be buying another book soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your animals are wonderful
    they have a spirit about them that draws me in, treasures for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your creatures you made !

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...thank you for your sweet comment today xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know Soonchild, but it makes me think of some lyrics to a Kate Bush song. Can't think of the title. Your white felted walrus and bear are just sooooo wonderful Charlotte! Beautiful work!
    xo
    dulcy

    ReplyDelete