Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Adventures in an English Coastal County part the last.




I have blogged about this holiday as much to retain my memories of it (whilst they are still fresh) as to share it with others.  I hope you enjoy reading about the places we have visited and the things we have done.  My other intention was to entice you to visit some of these magical places for yourself.

We spent the week visiting Churches such as Blythburgh, Iken, Southwold and others; there you find the wealth of mans interpretation of the mystery of God, along with his hankering after the old traditions.  Where green men and animals mingle with saints.  Sadly we took few photos of the churches to share.  The Suffolk Churches website will give you some idea of the treasures the county holds.

The site offers wonderful photos of the interiors: These are the Blythburgh angels.

Our final days were spent in Aldeburgh and the surrounding areas:  We looked at the wonderful work in the local galleries, there are a great many talented printmakers and sculptures who exhibit in the area.  We visited Snape Maltings, and wandered around the sculptures, galleries and shops there.

We encountered more ladybirds this year than I have ever seen, everywhere we went there were hundreds of 7 spot ladybirds.  The boys were fascinated, they tried counting the ones on this wall but had to give up as there were just too many.


We also encounterd a lovely spider, that I have now discovered has a nasty bite that causes swelling and blisters.  It's a good job I didn't know that at the time as I was holding back the grass so that Tim could get these pictures.

Argiope aurantia

I love insects, and am always turning over stones and logs to see whats underneath.  I have passed the fascination on to my eldest boy, although the youngest is less keen.  Matthew likes his insects in the pages of a book rather than in the flesh.




The final day of the holiday was spent at Thorpeness.  What an incredible place this is, everything there feels slightly staged, as if it is a movie set for a film.  When you know a bit about its history all becomes clear.  The town was built by a wealthy Scott (Mr Ogilvie) as a holiday home for friends and family.  He was friends with JM Barrie, loved Peter Pan, so he excavated a 40 acre, 3ft deep, boating lake.  This lake has islands, forts, Wendy's house, and ample opportunity to play pirates.  
The town itself is built in a mock tudor style and has some wonderfully mad buildings, like the above "House in the Clouds"  Which apparently was the village water tower.  It is worth enlarging the picture to read the sign.

This was also our final day on the beach.
Thorpeness beach is a mix of pebbles and sand, with a lovely long shelf in the sea, so that swimming is fairly safe for children here.  It is also pretty deserted, we had most of it to ourselves for the afternoon.  The boys played in the sea, jumped waves, collected stones, made sand pictures and shivered in towels as they dried off.  Mum also made sand pictures:


This years holiday has been quite a departure for us, I have missed the Finnish Forests, the beauty of Helsinki Market, the delicious pleasure of having our own private sauna and lake in the woods.  I have missed seeing family and the genuine freedom the kids have when we are at Sigurds.  But I have also really enjoyed my children experiencing the kind of holidays that I had.  Son number one told me he didn't want to go home and could we move nearer the sea, I knew exactly what he meant.  

 Classic Suffolk, we enjoyed sharing you.




Apologies, something funny has happened with my post, I can't bear to retype it so am leaving it in this odd state.

1 comment:

  1. Charlotte,thanks for sharing your holiday journal and lovely photos.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete