Sunday, 17 July 2011

Anticipation

There is something about a blank sheet of paper that is truly magical.  I really enjoy the sense of anticipation it engenders.  What will emerge?

Often there is an idea in my head, elusive: like a memory that is just around the corner.  It is a bit like a smell I can't quite place or a tune that is vaguely familiar.  Sometimes the paper sits and stares at me and the brushes remain idle and dry in their pot.  Occasionally the idea spills out through the pencil and paint.  What ever it is the final picture is rarely the image that started in my head, whether for good or bad.

So here I am, with a blank piece of paper, anticipating.

...And the look in his eye
Seemed to say to the sky,
"Now, how to amuse them to-day?

AA Milne, Sneezles

No comments:

Post a Comment