Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Edition two: what do we do with Dippy...............

and now, for your delight and delectation; pray give due diligence directly to Dippy:

Who is now causing me a few headaches!!!  What do you do with a 5 metre long dinosaur, who is afraid of the wet?  Our classroom is too small to display him safely...we could put him in the main hall but there is a problem of where and how.  Does anyone have any suggestions?


Dippy the Diplodocus.

He is the result of the design ability, teamwork and determination of 29 year 5 and 6 children (ages 10-11 years).  My only input was to give them the materials available to them, teach them which glues would work best for which part, and the options we would have for joining the sections together.  Every subsequent design decision was made by them.  


What a character!

Not bad for a class with 8 different languages; two year groups, and one slightly bonkers teacher! Thankfully my wonderful teaching assistant attempts to keep us under control (when she is not encouraging us to go even further!!).

Additional Pictures for your perusal.
added at 9.10pm.


A big thank you to my other half (computer whiz and photo-shopper extraordinaire) for the amazing panoramic picture.

Just to show I didn't need to hide under a table to cry, afterall.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic ! This must have been so much fun to make. I love his colour & face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun exercise....children must love being in your class.

    Enjoy your week!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I bet the kids had a fantastic time making him :)

    For display, could he be wall mounted? Like hes doing the lizard thing and walking along the wall..
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was huge amounts of fun to make, I love the way the girls (who made the head) gave him such a fabulous character. Sadly he is also huge. We are rather a small school, the ceilings are low. But the main hall is quite high, so if we can fix him up I think he is going to be suspended from there. Then I will see if I can get him adopted by the local library or art centre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having taught 4th grade, and having made many many fairly large projects... I understand the issue of space for display. A couple of times, I would get the use of our school's lobby area to share the kiddos work, if I couldn't fit it in the hall. That's about all I can come up with. Dippy is absolutely wonderful! He should be shared!! Thanks for your comment on my bday blog!
    xo
    dulcy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous. I love your blog, it's an inspiring mix of so many things. And I would have LOVED to do this as a kid, I was crazy about dinosaurs. Lucky children!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dippy is very nice! I wish him happy and not very short life. I think his creators will take care of him.

    ReplyDelete