Saturday, 21 May 2011

Sometimes you just have to know where to look.

Baby peregrine falcons on the Newton Building  Aren't they wonderful?

It's been a wonderful morning for birds.  Although we live on the edge of a big city there are still wonders if you know where to look.  Upwards is a good start, or here if you are not in Nottingham.
Our University is home to a family of peregrines, this morning we stood in the street and watched the parents bringing food to the ledge.  Some people thought we were mad and couldn't work out what we were looking at; another family also stood entranced, they knew how to look too!

Sometimes down is a good place as well.  I have been soundly told off by the great tits in the garden.
When I looked at my feet I saw their first fledgling in the wood pile. 
I did not get a photo of my fledgling sad to say, I was too busy carrying the cat inside; I want the birds to have a fighting chance.

5 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, quite exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is, I teach inner city kids. I put the webcam up on the board in the classroom, they watched entranced, thrilled by the idea this was in their city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do hope those Falcon chicks will be safe there !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see the peregrine chicks.
    I like your felt animals and hats!

    Best wishes,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruby: Thank you for the lovely comments.

    Penny: I gather from the NTU website the peregrines nest on cliff edges in the wild. They successfully fledged 4 birds last year.

    ReplyDelete